Wednesday, June 23, 2010

When its too hot to think

So we have the air conditioner on. But it's still stuffy in the house. And humid.

Window units just don't feel like central air. They don't work. They simply keep you sane. But you can't cook inside with them on. You can't drink a cup of tea. You can't sleep with a blanket. You simply can sit and listen to them hum. You can't watch tv because they are too loud and you can't hear yourself think.

If it wasn't for the wee one we would just sweat it out and at least hear the night crickets...but its just a tad bit cooler with them on, so we sweat.

She's asleep. Daddy's asleep. The dog and cat are asleep. And I'm awake. It's just not comfortable. So I came downstairs to write, to think, to read a bit of Heidegger before bed. And I realized that Heidegger is just too much when it is too hot. He makes my head hot.

So I poured some old wine over some ice cubes with a lemon twist. It's like a bad sangria...and I sewed some pants that needed hemming. And now I'm back on the computer. And I'm thinking.

I'm thinking its a bit too hot to think...but I have to use this time, when I'm relaxed and the house (except for the hum of the window units) is quiet.

Blissfully quiet.

Ok Mr. Heidegger, whatz ya got?

1 comment:

  1. Don and I are not warm weather people...we've been sleeping in the living room right in front of the AC. It helps...a little.

    ReplyDelete