Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh yeah...I'm 30!

I just wanted to say that this marks blogging for me for one year! Which means I'm 30. Wow.

I just read this letter I wrote to a scholarship committee for undergrad at Transy (side note: Daniel and I just cleaned out a BUNCH of papers that we had been lugging around for 7 years...lots of recycling opportunities).

ANYWAY

In that letter I said that I wanted (mind you that I wanted to do all this before I was 30)

-discover a cure for heart disease
-save wild dolphins
-earn a degree in biology
-live in a foreign country
-have a family

1 out of 5 isn't bad, right? (and please don't laugh at the cliches, I grew up in suburban Ohio -I'm lucky to have survived with any imagination whatsoever and I credit that to my parents who forced me outside to play).

It is so very funny how our "so called bucket lists" change as we grow....I do still want to live in a foreign land though -one with health care, vacation days, and access to good wine!

In any case this is all really a lead into a priority that I always had but never really understood the practical consequences of until experiencing them. I've always believed -without understanding- simply intuiting- that there is a place for being a woman who has a family, who falls in love, who giggles in dresses but who also thinks and does things.

Which means it's not about whether one works at home cleaning the laundry or writing a dissertation or whether one goes to an office. For me, it is about how one's doing and thinking and children and dressing and giggling are all part of a person who has to -for her sanity- make sense of it as one person, one human being.

It's not a project that one can check of a list. Feminism can't be achieved -it is a life long journey- a practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment